If you’re a mum reading this – close it now! This one is for all the dads, partners, significant others and children out there who are ready to step up this upcoming Mother’s Day, on Sunday May 10.
COVID times are tough. Mums, and those who take on the role of mums, are often the first to struggle through the pressures that come with difficult times; so now’s your chance to show mum that she’s a superstar in your life, and that you love and appreciate her in a thousand different ways.
Letting mum know you care doesn’t have to be expensive or elaborate. But a little effort and forward planning will go a long way in making this Mother’s Day the most memorable ever.
Bring high tea home
Mum might be expecting breakfast in bed – but why not take it up a notch and go straight to high tea? If your baking skills can swing it, try a basic scone recipe, and top it off with some jam and cream from the shops. We love this easy scone recipe from Donna Hay.
Add some macarons and pastries from your local patisserie or bakery, and serve it all up on the fanciest plate you can find, along with mum’s favourite drink and a nice big pot of tea.
Baked with love (and flowers)
There’s no shame in using a packet mix to bake mum a cake. It’s still home-baked, after all! Why not ‘hack’ your packet cake mix and top it off with some edible flowers? Get your little ones to help you take a look in your garden or around your local neighborhood, and you may just end up with the toppings to make a Masterchef-worthy cake.
To get you started, edible flowers include pansies, calendula, anise hyssop, honeysuckle, borage, chamomile, mint flowers, marigolds, nasturtium, violas and sweet violets.
Restaurant at home
Snaring a restaurant booking at short notice on Mother’s Day is normally impossible. But this year you may be in luck, with many offering their menu for home delivery or pick-up. If you have a neighbourhood favourite, this is a great way to spread the joy. A beautiful meal for mum plus doing your bit to #supportlocal – everyone’s a winner!
Here are a few local suggestions in each suburb along the coast, offering great deals on at the moment:
- Mr PPs Deli and Rooftop Bar: Buy two pizzas and get 1 free, or go for a $69 date night package.
- Daark Espresso: A popular Chirn Park cafe, Daark Espresso is currently running Dine with Daark, $25 dinner feats with a rotating menu.
- Longboards Burger Bar: If mum is into something a little more casual, nothing beats an indulgent burger, especially when they’re only $10.
- Elk Espresso: Awarded Number 1 amongst Gold Coast’s top 50 cafes, this Broadbeach favourite is currently serving up wholesome $25 Dinner Feasts. They’ve also created special Mother’s Day Breakfast boxes to enjoy as a picnic in the park (now permitted in Queensland!).
- Marios Italian: Nothing says romantic like hearty Italian food. Their current takeaway menu has all the favourites that they have been serving up for over 30 years.
- The North Room: Looking for a fine-dining breakfast experience like no other? The North Room has put together a hamper with house-smoked salmon, bacon, free-range eggs, homemade pickles and more.
- Little Truffle: another fine-dining favourite in Mermaid Beach, Little Truffle is serving up a decadent Four Course Set Menu.
- Restaurant Labart: This popular fine dining restaurant in Burleigh has been running Labart at Home for over 7 weeks while we’ve been in isolation. Their menu changes daily, keep an eye for their current offerings here.
- Oi Izakaya: if your partner loves Japanese food, while not go in for a fun $22 Bento box deal from Oi Izakaya. We’ve also heard they have cocktails available for takeaway too…
Pick of the picnics
Can’t get takeaway delivered to your house? Set up a picnic in your living room or in the backyard if weather permits. All you really need for a mum-pleasing spread is a cooked chook and a selection of fruit, vegetables, cheese and biscuits, all available from your local supermarket or deli, artfully arranged on boards or platters.
Pamper with a hamper
A hamper full of goodies makes an impressive gift and you can theme it however you choose. For something that’s all about her, a pampering hamper is a clever choice with scented candle, soaps and maybe some beautiful flowers from your local florist. If there is one gift that’s virtually foolproof it’s flowers but the more thought you put into the selection, the bigger the impact – it may just be best to pre-order to guarantee delivery.
These are some of our favourite gift ideas:
Find a unique gift from the Heartfill Store: Open Thursday to Saturday from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, the Heartfill Store will have all your Mother’s Day gifts covered.
Buy a plant from The Borrowed Nursery (Mermaid) or Greenfolk (Burleigh): Is the mother of the house also a plant mum? Then she will love the gorgeous that greenery The Borrowed Nursery in Mermaid Beach and Greenfolk in Burleigh have to offer.
Gifts to order ahead of time:
A beautiful picnic basket from Le Weekend Co: If picnics are something that your partner enjoys, these stunning handmade picnic baskets are the perfect gift that will go down a treat and last for years to come.
Mother’s Day wine gift box from Good Pair Days: If mum loves her wine and chocolate, there is no better gift than this decadent hamper put together by the wine connoisseurs.
What better way to spend a Mother’s Day in lockdown than enjoying some movies and ice cream together? You can buy ahead of time and stash your ice-cream in the freezer, along with some treats to top off home-made ice cream sundaes. Or, you might be close to one of these excellent boutique makers: Lik Lik Gelato in Nobby Beach, Gelato Messina in Coolangatta, The Gelato Shop in Broadbeach, and Hevenyah in Mermaid Beach.
The Mother’s Day Pledge
A handwritten and illustrated Mother’s Day pledge may be enough this year to brighten mum’s day, especially if the budget is tight. Say it from the heart and hers is sure to melt. Some ideas to get you started:
I promise to ….
- Give you lots of hugs and kisses
- Let you relax all day
- Not fight with my brothers and sisters
- Love you forever!