Feeling confused by the Government Child Care Subsidy? You’re not alone. While the CCS makes early learning more affordable for many Australians, it’s not always easy to understand.
Keeping this in mind, we have prepared a simple calculation to help you work out your out-of-pocket payment:
Still unsure? If you’re enrolling at a Kool Kids Early Learning Centre, our Family Support team are happy to help – just call 1800 517 044. A varied team of ex-educators, parents, grandparents and child care experts, they’re experienced in chatting to families about how to maximize their subsidies.
In the meantime, keep reading for our top tips on how to break down the benefits for you and your family.
The Child Care Subsidy works on three factors:
- How much ‘work-related’ activity you and your partner undertake each fortnight. This includes paid work, volunteering, study and other activities as determined by education.gov.au.
- Your total combined family income.
- The service type – this can be long day care, or outside-hours care such as vacation care.
The best way to apply for CCS is through your MyGov Account that is linked to Centrelink. For more information, click here for our guide.
Our top tips
- Use our handy Subsidy Calculator to get an estimate of how much you could expect to receive – simply click here.
- Apply for CCS as soon as you find a centre that you and your child are happy with. This way, it’ll be set up and ready to go for your child’s first day of care. You also need to confirm your Complying Written Agreement (CWA). If it’s not confirmed, you may be paying full fees until it’s all complete.
- Make sure you download the Centrelink app, which can be very helpful, especially if your work situation is changing and you need to update your hours.
- Ask the Kool Kids Family Support team to double check all details when you’ve submitted your enrolment form. They’ll be able to pick up on anything that’s been missed, ensuring your subsidy is ready to go.
Case study example: The John family…