Welcome to Kool Kids Mermaid Waters
Kool Kids Mermaid Waters child care and early learning centre is a convenient choice for local families living in Mermaid Beach, Mermaid Waters and Burleigh Waters. Our Mermaid Waters child care centre offers long day care and kindergarten for children aged 6 weeks to 6 years from 7:00 am – 6:00 pm.
Our Mermaid Waters childcare and kindergarten centre provides families with daily updates and photos detailing their child’s learning and development, which is accessible on our family app.
Explore the natural environments at Kool Kids Mermaid Waters!
Our modern child care and early learning centre overlooks beautiful Lake Hugh Muntz in tranquil Mermaid Waters. Your child will have endless opportunities to explore and learn in our natural outdoor environments.
Our Mermaid Waters childcare centre features large outdoor areas, adventure-filled playgrounds, a veggie garden, regular visits from local wildlife and a range of exciting extracurricular activities.
Every day is full of learning, laughter and fun at Kool Kids Mermaid Waters!
Why you’ll love Kool Kids Mermaid Waters
You’ll enjoy a stress-free child care experience and your child will benefit from a play-based early education program designed to inspire a love of learning during the most formative years.
We’re proud to provide the following facilities and services:
- A government-approved kindergarten program based on the Early Years Learning Framework (EYLF) and the Queensland Kindergarten Learning Guideline (QKLG) and taught by a Bachelor-qualified early childhood teacher
- Interactive learning technology including iSandbox, an exciting interactive tool exclusive to Kool Kids that inspires imaginative play and fosters language development, as well as interactive TVs and iPads
- Nutritious meals and snacks prepared by our on-site chef
- Daily photos and updates on your child’s progress through our communication app
- Our Genki Japanese curriculum taught by our own native Japanese teachers
- Extracurricular activities including a sports program, cultural program, song and dance and Japanese (for no additional fee)
- Nappies and wipes included for your convenience
- A fully air-conditioned centre and on-site parking
- Three outdoor play spaces specifically designed for different age groups
- Regular in-house festivities for cultural and religious celebrations
- Educational children’s shows, special guests and excursions to extend on the children’s learning
- Extended hours from 7am to 6pm
- Flexible hours (9-hour, 10-hour or full-day sessions) to allow families to make the most out of their Child Care Subsidy
Book a tour to see why Kool Kids are happy kids. We look forward to meeting you and sharing this exciting journey with your family.
Meet the centre manager
I started working in early education and care in 2015 with another G8 Education centre. I became the centre manager here at Mermaid Waters in 2022.
I hold a Bachelor of Education – Early Childhood from QUT as well as my Diploma in Early Childhood Education and Care.
Children are our future, so the role educators play in their early years is especially important. I enjoy scaffolding the children’s interests, to help them learn as much as they can and set them up for success in a positive and nurturing environment. Being able to see the children’s smiles as they celebrate their successes is such a joy.
In a centre-based environment, children learn routines and skills that they need through various techniques to help them develop and grow in a safe and structured environment. Children also learn literacy and numeracy skills that form the foundation for their education, but it’s more than just reading, writing and counting.
A dedicated care and early learning environment gives your child an opportunity to develop social skills, which helps them form healthy relationships with other people. They learn how to get along with other children, share and take turns, listen to others, communicate their ideas, and become independent. A high-quality early childhood education at a child care centre will not only look after your child safely while you work, but also inspire a lifelong love of learning.
We are a small centre of 72 places that consists of 5 rooms. Our small team of passionate educators are highly trained and dedicated to their job. Many staff members have been here for a long time, which provides consistency. Because we are a small centre, all educators know all families and children, no matter which room they’re in. Our team pride ourselves on making everyone feel welcome here at Kool Kids Mermaid Waters.
Here at Kool Kids Mermaid Waters, we foster open communication with our families, building those trusting relationships. We communicate in various ways – verbal, phone, email and through our online portal Xplor. Our educators build those trusting relationships and work in conjunction with children and families to set individualised learning goals that form part of our ongoing planning cycle and children’s individual learning portfolios.
Nursery (0 – 12 months)
Our Nursery room offers:
- A nurturing environment where children feel safe to explore and discover
- Tummy time and physical activity
- Messy play and sensory activities
- A language-rich environment through play-based experiences such as music, singing and rhymes
Toddlers (1 – 2 years)
Our Toddlers room provides:
- Play-based music and movement activities that enhance sensory-motor development
- Opportunities for children to form relationships and develop their self-confidence
- A language-rich environment that supports development through books and conversations
- Opportunities for children to explore literacy and numeracy through real-life experiences
Junior Kindy (2 – 3 years)
Our Junior Kindy room offers:
- Social learning through group and individual play throughout the day
- Interactive technology designed to promote gross and fine motor skills
- A language-rich environment through books and conversations
- Opportunities to learn about literacy and numeracy in a safe and inspiring environment
Senior Kindy (3 – 4 years)
Our Senior Kindy room provides:
- An environment that builds a healthy physical and mental wellbeing
- Boundless opportunities for outdoor teaching and play
- Safe opportunities for risky play and extracurricular activities
- Active sport and language programs
Kindergarten (4 – 6 years)
Our Kindergarten room offers:
- A government-approved kindergarten program focused on literacy and numeracy through play-based learning
- The use of children’s interests as a vehicle for learning
- The development of social and emotional skills
- Enhanced self-awareness and respect for others
Our families love Kool Kids Mermaid Waters
- Fees effective from 10 July 2023
- Fees effective from 10 July 2023
- Fees effective from 10 July 2023
Frequently Asked Questions
What can I expect from a centre tour?
A centre tour is a convenient way to experience the centre of your choice and meet with our qualified educators at a time suitable to your family schedule. Kool Kids also offers the virtual tour option in all our centres. Click here to book a tour online.
On the day of the tour, you’ll have the opportunity to observe practices and interactions within the centre environment. You’ll be able to see all the rooms and playgrounds, ask the team members any questions you have in mind, and get all the information you need to make the best decision for your child.
Do I have to be on a waitlist?
Kool Kids’ Family Support team will add your child’s name to our waitlist if one of our centres is currently full in your child’s age group. We will then contact you as soon as a place becomes available.
We also do monthly check-ins to review the availability, and you will receive a text message confirming if you’re still happy to remain on the waitlist each month. If you would like to get an update at any point, you’re welcome to reach out on our Web Chat or give us a call.
Our Family Support team can also help you find more G8 early learning centres near you, with the same offerings at the Kool Kids centre you are interested in that have immediate availability.
What can I do to help my child prepare for starting care?
It’s common for a child to experience separation anxiety when they first start child care. When you’re getting ready to start child care, you can help your child overcome anxieties by visiting the child care centre together for a Stay and Play session, and easing into new routines at home.
Click here to read more tips about how to make the transition easier for your child.
What should I pack my child for their first day?
Most of our Kool Kids child care and early education centres offer the following:
- Nappies and wipes
- Sunscreen and hats
- Nutritious meals prepared by our in-house cook
Some centres also provide sheets and formula, so you may not need to remember to pack them.
For nursery children, be sure to bring: nappy rash cream, dummies, bottles and teats, comfort toys or blankets, three spare outfits, spare socks and a plastic bag for wet clothes.
For toddlers and preschool or kindergarten-aged children, it’s best to bring: spare underwear, water bottle or sippy cup, sun hat, closed-toe shoes, two spare outfits, spare socks and a plastic bag for wet clothes.
Plus anything else your individual child may need, such as breast milk, a sleeping bag, a comforter or medication.
It’s best to speak to your centre of choice for a full list of everything included.
How do I get updates on my child's day?
Kool Kids uses Xplor Home as our family communication app. It is the best and easiest way to keep track of your child’s day. After you enrol your child with the centre, you can utilise Xplor Home to book child care days, manage your account, receive the photographs that capture your child’s learning, learn about your child’s progress, as well as keep up-to-date with upcoming centre events and important information.
What if my child gets sick?
If your child shows signs of an infectious illness when they arrive at the centre or becomes sick during the day, you may be notified that you need to make alternative arrangements or pick up your child from the centre, and keep them home until they are no longer infectious. While we understand that this can be inconvenient, Kool Kids is committed to maintaining a healthy environment and reducing the risk of infection for all children.
Under the Child Care Subsidy (CCS), families are allowed 42 absence days per child, per financial year. These can be taken for any reason, including public holidays and when children are sick, without the need for families to provide documentation.